Expressive Therapies – The Role of Music, Massage and Art Therapies
Care and Comfort through Expressive Therapies
Some of the most beautiful Hospice moments happen when an Expressive Therapist is in the room!
Expressive therapies play an integral role in enhancing the quality of life for adults and families in Hospice Buffalo, as well as for children and their families in our Essential Care program. Our credentialed therapists address the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of our patients and families through various therapeutic interventions such as music therapy, massage therapy and art therapy.
Benefits of Expressive Therapies
- Provides a creative outlet for self-expression and interpersonal support,
- Helps patients and families manage pain and anxiety,
- Decreases loneliness and isolation,
- Encourages movement and active engagement,
- Facilitates reminiscence and life review,
- Provides opportunities for creating a legacy, memory and meaning-making
We develop treatment plans in collaboration with physicians, nurses, social workers, and chaplains, and provide an ongoing supportive presence throughout the individual’s care.
Where can you find us?
Our expressive therapists visit with patients and families in all care settings:
- Patient homes
- Assisted Living facilities, and skilled Nursing and Group Homes
- Hospice inpatient unit
Expressive therapists also collaborate with Hospice Bereavement and Community Grief Support to facilitate various therapeutic interventions for programming such as Storm Clouds & Rainbows and Camp Blue Skies.