Here with Love – Special Care for Children
Essential Care for Children
Essential Care for Children is a home-based palliative (symptom control) care program that provides coordination of medical services, as well as psycho-social, emotional and spiritual support to seriously ill children and their families. Essential Care is for infants through adolescents.
Our pediatric healthcare professionals work closely with your child's doctor to develop an optimum plan of care. We care for children who live in Erie and parts of Niagara, Genesee and Cattaraugus counties. We work with pediatricians at John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, and a variety of other pediatric clinics in our community. Our referrals come from physicians and other providers, but often, it’s a family member or friend who refers a child to Essential Care.
The Mission of the Essential Care Program
Essential Care for Children's mission is to provide the most comprehensive home-based palliative care to children with life-limiting illness, helping minimize hospital stays and emergency room visits.
- Physician consultation for palliative care (symptom control)
- Pain- and symptom-control consultation
- Care coordination across medical settings (i.e. from hospital to home)
- 24/7 on-call availability by pediatric registered nurses
- Links to the patient's primary physician, clinics, specialists, community services and financial assistance programs
- Emotional support for the patient, as well as their caregivers, siblings and other family members
Your Essential Care Team includes:
- Pediatric Registered Nurse
- Social Worker
- Expressive Therapists (music, art, and massage)
- Spiritual Care Counselors
- Bereavement Counselors
The mission of our Perinatal Program is to provide support, education and guidance to expectant parents and families whose unborn child has a life-limiting illness. This unique program helps expecting parents and families prepare for and cope with physical, emotional and spiritual issues at the time of diagnosis and through the remainder of the pregnancy. Our Perinatal Program is the only program of its kind in Erie County.
- Admission evaluation in hospital, doctor’s office or at home
- Development of a birthing plan that honors parents’ wishes, coordinating with physician, and labor/delivery staff
- 24/7 on-call Registered Nurse availability
- Guidance and emotional support for siblings and other children in the family
- Links to resources that help families cope during pregnancy and after
- Honor cultural rituals, religious and spiritual beliefs
- Help create a comfortable, serene and peaceful environment, preserving dignity
- Help plan final arrangements, memorial services and special goodbyes, according to your wishes
- Bereavement counseling for parents and siblings
- Assist with creating precious keepsakes prior to and after the baby’s birth
- Resource for specialty clinics, community services and financial assistance programs
Western New York Perinatal Bereavement Network
The Western New York Perinatal Bereavement Network (WNYPBN) is comprised of bereaved parents and healthcare professionals who promote standards of bereavement intervention through educational support, community programs and referral services to bereaved parents.