Peace of Mind ~ Medicare Covers 100% Hospice Care
Who pays for hospice care?
Paying for Hospice care can be more affordable than you may think. In fact, Hospice is a fully covered Medicare benefit. Most health insurance plans, including Medicaid and Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs), cover Hospice services. No one is refused Hospice care because of inability to pay.
Eligibility to receive hospice care under Medicare?
- Medicare Part A
- Prognosis of 6 months or less by a physician
You will be asked to sign a statement electing hospice care. The Hospice Medicare benefit is available through all Medicare Managed Care Plans in Western New York. For illnesses unrelated to your hospice diagnosis, full coverage remains in effect.
Services Covered by the Medicare Benefit
Depending on Hospice Buffalo’s personalized plan of care, patient and family services may include:
- Nurses and doctors who are specially trained in pain- and symptom- management to make routine and emergency visits
- Home Health Aides who provide bathing and personal care
- Social Workers to provide emotional support for you and your family and to assist with coordination of other services (schedule appointments and additional Hospice Services, etc.)
- Spiritual Care Councelors for guidance and understanding
- Expressive therapies (music, massage)
- Volunteer visits and assistance
- Dietary counseling
- Medical equipment (such as oxygen, wheelchairs, etc.)
- Medical supplies (such as bandages and incontinence supplies)
- Prescription drugs related to the illness
- Grief counseling for family
Will I lose Medicare coverage if I choose hospice care?
No. Medicare continues to pay for medical care that is unrelated to the condition for which Hospice Buffalo is providing care. There is no loss of coverage.